When I first started writing bios as a volunteer we had a dog that has been rescued after a house fire. His owner died and while the dog made it out he was burned all over, had terrible skin burns, and lost most of his hair. To say he was unattractive was putting it mildly.
 
Someone nursed and cared for him but no one in the man’s family wanted the dog. Beyond the physical injuries was the grief over losing his person, the stress of all that was being done to him, and eventually the big move to Wisconsin.
 
It took months to get him ready to find his forever home and it wasn’t the easiest of tasks. His hair came in all crazy and standing on end and in a few different colors. He had patches of skin that never got hair. He was understandably skittish but the family who adopted him adored him and he truly did get his happily ever after.
 
We don’t know how the fire started but we do know that pets in house fires happen. Today is National Pet Fire Safety Day and it’s good to remember that our pets need us to keep them safe.
 
We don’t have a kitchen door so my little pooch roams freely in and out of the kitchen even when I cook. It’s usually okay but I have had to learn the hard way to cook with handles facing in. One evening we had some guests for dinner and Coconut stood on his two back legs and grabbed the handle of the heavy cast-iron skillet with just enough strength to flip it over. The two-minute rule did apply that day because while Coconut was busy getting the juice I snatched up those two luscious and delicious and not inexpensive rib-eye steaks that had just come out of the oven after being seared in the skillet first. You can get we enjoyed every morsel as much as Coconut loved the juices.
 
Had the skillet a little closer Coconut would have been seriously injured or killed by the cast iron skillet hitting him. The other issue is that he can reach the burners and if I’m not always watching he could turn on the burner. Just imagine a gas burner on with a dog in the house. In this respect, it’s truly like when I have a toddler and have to second guess everything that could go wrong in the kitchen.
 
Here is an excellent on pet fire safety with tips we should all make note of and remember as we work to keep our families and pets safe.
 
https://thebark.com/content/national-pet-fire-safety-day